Blog \ News

UK Border Agency Guidelines for Adult Students

The United Kingdom Border Agency has two categories for adult students. They are the Tier 4 General and the Student Visitor. The first is for those who want to come to the UK for their post-16 education. The second is for those who want to study short courses in the country and will not work during their stay for studies.


To be able to apply to become an adult foreign student in the UK, you should be accepted in the course and school you are applying to and have enough money to pay for your tuition and living expenses. The tier category system of the UKBA involves giving points to applicants. If you are an adult student applying for a student visa, you must earn 40 points from the agency. You will get 30 points for being accepted to the course and school you have chosen which should be what is called a Tier 4 Sponsor and you should have English language skills of a level that is acceptable. The rest of the 10 points is for showing proof that you indeed have enough financial sources and support to pay for your studies and stay in the country.

Additional Studies

The course you should choose is one that is of acceptable level. Certain courses have additional requirements. During your studies, you are allowed to join work placement if it is part of your course. You can also get a short preparatory course before you start the main course if you need it. this is known as the pre-sessional course. Whatever the case, the school to which you apply for admission should be one which has the Tier 4 General sponsor license.


The acceptable course of study which is the one which you should apply to in the school should be full-time and meets the additional requirements. Another alternative is one that you are applying to undertake a recognised Foundation Programme like a postgraduate doctor or dentist in the UK. Further, another option is that you must be applying for the entry and study in the country by working as a student union sabbatical officer in the UK.

Alternative Options

Students who choose to study full-time on a course which is not a Foundation Programme should take on courses which must also be one that will lead to a qualification at or above level 6 on the revised National Qualifications Framework or another which is an equivalent. Another alternative is a short-term study abroad programme that is part of your higher education course from outside the UK. An English language course at level B2 or above in the Common European Framework of Reference for Language is also an option. Any English language course at any level can be chosen by students who are sponsored by the government or if the course is a pre-sessional course to be taken before the degree course.

Author Bio

I am a person who lives on a backpack. My office is a suitcase. I have been travelling around the world bringing my work with me and finding more work wherever I go. I work in projects and events, provide help for students to perform assignments and anything I can earn and learn from.

Don't be shellfish...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail this to someone

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers